Friday, October 03, 2008

Dub Colossus "A Town Called Addis EP"

These were the fellows playing after the Éthiopiques concert in Olde London Towne. I think this is meant to be a strange amalgam of dub reggae and various Ethiopian musics (including contemporary Ethiopian pop styles but also more traditional forms like Azmari). This was either a free sampler for their forthcoming A Town Called Addis album – or maybe we paid money for it. It is enjoyable enough to listen to, but it does sound a bit more dubby than Ethiopy, with occasional strange detours into a sound that could almost be tropicalian. Closer listening may be required.

2 comments:

Ammonite said...

So are you going to make a mix tape anytime soon of all your Ethiopian music?

ian said...

Mmm, I think I will replay in a full blog post, as my opinions were changing and getting more involved as I started writing here.