Friday, June 06, 2008

Two More Discs of Ethiopian Music

v/a Éthiopiques 8: Swinging Addis
Alèmayèhu Eshèté Éthiopiques 22: Alèmayèhu Eshèté

Two more Éthiopiques CDs, acquired by my beloved to help get herself jazzed up before she goes out to Ethiopia. I have at this stage maybe listened more to the Swinging Addis one, as it is a bit different from the usual Éthiopiques fare, being more psychey beaty than jazzy. That said, as with much of the series, I am still able to discern certain similarities between the music here and and the reggae music of Jamaica. Am I the only person to have ever suggested a musical link between Jamaica and Ethiopia?

Later… the Swinging Addis disc is maybe a bit unrepresentative of the total Éthiopiques, but it is a bag of fun, and I reckon its psychey sounds deserve a hearing outside those who aren't turned on to jazz. My favourite track here would have to be 'Hasabé' by Ayalèw Mèsfin, a tune you could really imagine shaking dance floors in B-Music style psych clubs. The various tracks by Alèmayèhu Eshèté are also entertaining; he is known by some as the Ethiopian James Brown, mainly because he grunts a lot.

Swinging Pandas

No comments: