Monday, January 28, 2008

The Helix: Jan Garbarek

I saw this concert an eternity ago. Jan Garbarek is a famous Nordic jazz saxophonist, and was playing with some other well known musicians. This was not really my cup of tea, being a bit too based around show-offy solos (particularly by the drummer). And the music generally reminded me a bit of the theme to Moonlighting, not one of the better features of that programme. The performance was nevertheless very popular with most people in the audience… to each their own. It is possible I would have liked it more if it was in a smaller venue or if the drums were lower in the mix.

There was however one guy in the audience who was so unimpressed with proceedings that he shouted out "Boring!" That seemed a bit churlish – even though the concert was not my cup of tea, I would never stoop to spoiling the enjoyment of others, unless I was very drunk.

No comments: