Monday, April 20, 2009

The Suicide Machine

I was going to write about J.G. Ballard dying and stuff, but then I remembered that I have not actually read anything by him, apart from one short story. It featured cars and strange eroticism, and was generally a bit weird, so I suppose it works as summary of his life's work. Apart from having seen David Cronenburg's film adaptation of Crash, I am more familiar with music inspired or based on Ballard's writings. Hawkwind's 'High Rise' and The Normal's 'Warm Leatherette' & 'T.V.O.D.' are the real stars here.

I feel like I should actually read one of Ballard's novels sometime, so will probably push for 'High Rise' or 'The Atrocity Exhibition' at the Science Fiction book club tomorrow.

More:
What pop music tells us about JG Ballard (why are all the comments by people called Ian?)

JG Ballard: The music he inspired

1 comment:

Justin Mason said...

dude, you need to fix that _right now_. the guy was a visionary.