Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Portishead "Third"

This is of course Portishead's third album, the one that came out last year. I saw it in a two-for-fifteen sale in HMV and decided to give it a go. I have, sadly, only managed to listen to it once or twice. This is not a reflection of this record's quality, more on the extent to which I am being swamped by new music at the moment. Initial listenings suggest that Third is a total classic – if you like doomy and claustrophobic music.

People had said that this was influenced by the likes of Sunn-O)))) and all the crazy metal that Geoff Barrow releases on his own label. I do not really set this myself. A more obvious context for this would be Massive Attack's Mezzanine, but without in any way sounding like a retread of that work. Whatever its influences, this is a very engaging record, one I can see myself listening to this a lot over the coming year.

Image source

No comments: