Sunday, November 30, 2008

HI DERE I WRIT TEH NOVEL

Yes, it is true. I have written a 50,783 word novel in the month of November, validated on the NaNoWriMo page and everything. I am looking forward now to going back to a life of aimless web browsing.

A couple of people have expressed interest in reading my NaNoWriMo draft. I'm not sure I can recommend this course of action, as there are many excellent novels in the world that were not written in a month during the author's spare time and made up as they went along. Also, other novels typically have been proofread and had typographical errors removed from them, and characters in them usually retain the same name all the way through the story. Even so, I am a great believer in giving people what they want.

So, what I am thinking of doing is posting it on a blog, as it is now (i.e., no edits, bar HTML codings for things like italics and emboldening). If I do this, I will do it so that it appears over the month of December at the same speed as I wrote it in November. The sequential format might well suit something written episodically, and by spinning it out like this then maybe by the end of the month people will have forgotten the strangely unresolved things that were introduced at the beginning.

Assuming that I go ahead with this, I will almost certainly delete all of the novel posts in Jamuary, maybe when I get back from Morocco. Two things demand this. Firstly, I don't want people stealing my amazing ideas. Secondly, I don't really want to be associated forever with a draft of a novel I wrote in my month, and fear it being spread around the internet as a new candidate for the worst writing of all time (taking over from this one*).

Actually, fear of public humiliation like that might yet mean that my work remains forever hidden on my laptop hard drive. We'll see.



*this linked to piece of LoToR fan fiction is complete genius; if you've never seen it before, check it out now. It's worth looking at even if you have seen it before (I had forgotten just how G*R*A*T*E it is, and when I found it again to link to it the roffles came back once more).

No comments: