Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Sixth Doctor: "The Ultimate Foe"

This is Colin Baker's last, and the last of the Trial of a Timelord. In this one the trial is over, and for no obvious reason the Doctor disappears in the Matrix, a weirdo computer generated landscape of existential threat. This one seemed a good bit more enjoyable than the rest of the Trial rubbish – it was baffling, absurdist, and reminiscent of the stranger episodes of The Prisoner (then very popular among my pals); the Prisoner similaries were heightened by it being revealed that the Timelord guy who was prosecuting the Doctor was actually the evil side of his personality from the future (or something).

I will at some stage talk in general terms about the whole of the Colin Baker "Doctor Who" era. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Andrew Sherman said...

I have never seen a Colin Baker Dr Who. Which one should I watch. Or should I just not bother.

ian said...

Vengeance on Varos and Revelation of the Daleks are the two I would actively like to see again.

Andrew Sherman said...

Thanks... I'm getting Vengeance on Varos from netflix today so it had better be good. Or at least OK.