Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Competitive Yoga

Apparently there is some talk of making yoga a sport in the next Olympic Games, or so says Kathy Phillips in a grumpy article about the state of yoga today. There is an element of yoga rockism to her scoving at Geri-yoga, but I think she is right to salute real-deal yoga as a path to psychological harmony rather than flat tummies. I also salute her love of yoga classes focussed on inversions rather than endless up-dogs and down-dogs.

Yoga has been on my mind a bit lately, and I have been thinking that it is time I re-embraced the path of bendiness. I have maybe been fortunate in my teachers, in that I do not really recognise the yoga chancers that Phillips goes on about - the classes never seemed like a pile 'em high exercise. So shout outs to Lisa, Greg, and Rani.

No comments: