Thursday, January 11, 2007

Killer Watt

Borag Thung. I was at a reunion for my old school recently (where recently is a couple of months ago). It was an odd experience, talking to people whose lives seem far more conventionally successful than mine. I did however meet one of my old pals who reminisced about all the 2000 ADs I used to bring into school with me to corrupt the other children. Great days.

IPC seem to be joining the reprint mania that is sweeping the comics world, with their Complete Judge Dredd series now being up to volume 7 or some such. Even more exciting, though, is the news that they have brought out volume one of The Complete Nemesis The Warlock, which compiles books one to four of the title (i.e. the good ones). I am particularly looking forward to re-reading the never reprinted book two, the one with the weirdo giant spiders. Retro nerd heaven awaits.

8 comments:

Andrew Sherman said...

Have you read any of the reprints? I wonder how satisfying they are. Did you ever play Judge Dredd the RPG? There's only one possible plot: a judge goes bad.

Queenie said...

Did you tell them about spy school?

Maybe they didn't let on about their secret life either!

ian said...

Ray - check the cover. Jesus Redondo's name is there... BRING ON THE SPIDERS.

Andrew - I've not got to the JD reprints yet. Never played the RPG, heard it was suspiciously like Paranoia.

Queenie - schtumm schtumm

ian said...

Maybe I should read comments before replying to them.

Anonymous said...

Ohh thanks for drawing attention to that. My rather dusty memories recall that the series was dark and strange in a wonderful way. So I have promptly ordered a copy.
Conor K.

Anonymous said...

I recently got this myself, and I'm inclined to agree with you, although the one with the giant spiders isn't actually all that.

I suspect Nemesis will go to three volumes. Pat Mills began to disappear up his arse with book 5 or 6, but they at least have the lovely Bryan Talbot art.

I am buying the Strontium Dog book when it comes out.

ian said...

My recollection is that Nemesis went patchy after the stuff reprinted in the first volume. The following storyline had variable writing and variable art (when Bryan Talbot is not on form he is ye liveliest awfulnesse). Some of the John Hinkleton illustrated stuff was good fun, and I remember a chortlesome story where Kevin O'Neill returns. But overall it is fairly disposable.

The ILX people are looking forward to seeing the Nemesis photostory reprinted.

ian said...

The Strontium Dog title is in the shops now... very exciting looking it is too, though I would be more excited if I had not picked up that other SD collection relatively recently.