Saturday, January 27, 2007

CONCERT: The Jimmy Cake (Whelan's)

Blah de blah, you've heard me talk about these fellows before, if I have not already communicated what they sound like to you, then I am not going to succeed now. Nevertheless, this was an unusual gig – not merely have the Cake acquired a load of new members, they have shed the man I always thought of Mr J. Cake esq.. I was struck by how there might now be more ex-Jimmycakers than current members of the band. Maybe someone could set up The Jimmy Cake II.

You can say what you like about the Cake, but they are definitely attracting a better sort of punter. I ran into one of my pals from Spy School there. He is running for the Dáil in the next election, so he could shortly be running the country, though as he is from a political party where talk of people being spies is officially Not Funny, forget I mentioned it.

3 comments:

Andrew Farrell said...

I'm not sure who I'd think of as James Cake, Esq. Probably the drummer, or yer man on the squeezebox.

ian said...

I picked the one I had met at a party before the Jimmy Cake were set up.

Anonymous said...

Heh, I don't think we're quite up to as many ex-members as members. Yet.

Original Das Madman lineup: Me, Simon, Dee, John, Vin, Paul, Rory, Dip

Original Cake lineup: Me, Simon, Dee, John, Vin, Rory, Dip, John B, Jurgen

Slightly Augmented Cake lineup: Me, Simon, Dee, John, Vin, Rory, Dip, John B, Jurgen, Paul

Slightly Shrunk Cake lineup: Me, Simon, John, Vin, Dip, John B, Jurgen, Paul

Current Cake lineup: Me, John, Vin, Dip, Jurgen, Paul, Mick, Alex, Parx (with Simon as a sort of semi-detached entity, as he's not doing gigs at the mo but will be on the next album)

There, that was educational, wasn't it?