Saturday, January 27, 2007

Furcht und Elend in der DDR

Alert readers may have noticed a slight change in my recent post about my most played tracks on iTunes. Evidently I burned up the disc and wrote the piece without actually listening to the tunes, and discovered retrospectively that the 'Jugendliebe' track that begins it is a surprisingly effecting piece of nicey fluff. I had mistaken it for 'Wie Ein Stern' by Frank Schöbel, which is a pretty bad DDR goes Eurovision style tune. Still, I was pleased to hear it this morning when seeing the film Das Leben Der Anderen, where it plays while two of the characters are in an awful pub.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That pub doesn't look completely awful. Then again, maybe the lady in sunglasses makes it look more glam than it actually is.

If I had my way, every DDR cafe/pub scene in every film ever would be shot in CAFE ADLER.

ian said...

Some might say that as Cafe Adler was in the American sector it would be inappropriate for it to appear as a DDR pub.

That said, the bar in question does have a certain homely spartanness, and you can't really imagine anyone wandering in looking for some Heineken.