Thursday, April 14, 2011

Selda [Untitled Finders Keepers album]

This was a Christmas present. As you know, Selda is this Turkish protest singer from whom Finders Keepers have brought us this record as part of their Anatolian Invasion series. I will not lie to you, I already had this on vinyl, but it is great getting a copy of it on CD so that I can blast it onto Mr iPod. Just a reminder of how this record works – Selda herself sings and plays guitar (or maybe a Turkish guitar-like instrument more akin to a bouzouki or some such), but here she is joined by the cream of the 1976 Turkish musical scene. They play a variety of electric instruments and electronically treated versions of Turkish traditional instruments. The result should perhaps be an awkward mish-mash of styles, neither satisfyingly one thing nor the other, but it somehow all works creating a wonderful folk-psych hybrid all driven by Selda's powerful voice. My Turkish is non-existent, so I have no idea what she is protesting against, but I feel like I have been persuaded to join her in opposing it.

An inuit panda production

more Selda image action

No comments: