Saturday, January 29, 2011

Trish Keenan

I was recently on holiday in Lanzarote. Flying home, I listened to two albums by Broadcast, Tender Buttons and HaHa Sound. Much of the music on these records has a spectral, ghostly quality, suiting the half-awake, half-asleep state in which I found myself.

The next day I discovered that Trish Keenan of Broadcast had died. This was sad news, on any number of levels. Keenan was about the same age as I am, and she died of an everyday infection that many people catch and fight off, so there seems like something cruelly random in her passing.

There are many obituaries of Trish Keenan out there, and you would probably be better off reading them than anything I have to say about her, Broadcast, or the music they made. I like the personal tone of this piece in particular, so maybe give that a go.

image source

No comments: