Saturday, May 29, 2010

video video

I also watched some music videos on the flight to Havana. The most memorable were the old ones. Bonnie Tyler's 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' is truly deranged, with the mentalist grandeur of the visuals matching the baroque madness of Jim Steinman's production. Top marks. Madonna's 'Like A Prayer' was a bit stranger than I remember – I mean, I recall all the stuff about the statue of the black saint coming alive and getting saucy with Madonna, and Madonna getting down with some black gospel choir, but the bit in the middle of the video where it all turns into To Kill A Mockingbird – where did that come from?

I also liked the weird interpretative dance bit in the middle of 'I Want To Break Free'. The best video, though, was Michael Jackson's 'Thriller'. OK, the werewolf bit is a pretty comedic – wolfie Michael looks like he wants a tummy rub rather than to rip out your still beating heart. But the zombie dancing bit is amazing, and it reminded me of why it was that Jackson once mattered.

An inuit panda production

No comments: