Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Kingsmen 'Louie Louie'

This is the greatest single ever released. What I have is a reissue, obviously, but still lots of fun. There are so many great things about this track, but currently it is the drumming mostly rocks my world.

Why am I talking about this song? The latest issue of Frank's APA has a theme: A-sides. So I wrote about a-sides to some random 7" singles I own. And so I will have loads of inconsequential little entries for Inuit Bikini Scarlet Carwash for some time to come.

3 comments:

Andrew Farrell said...

I get the impression this is a largely hated song among Right Thinking People in the states, largely due to it's omnipresense and heavy roatation on jukeboxes. Similar in some senses to Tubthumping. It gets singled out as everything that's wrong with everything at one point in Why I Hate Saturn.

ian said...

Yhuvaqzl - an Aztec deity.

I hear where you are coming from, and recall when former superstar of Frank's APA Jim Burgess once dismissed 'Louie Louie' in offhand terms implying that the subject was beyond discussion. But a couple of things need to be considered: i) I do not live in the USA, and am so not endlessly exposed to this song (I may have been in my twenties before hearing it first) ii) Americans, even so-called Right Thinking ones, are wrong about a great many things.

ian said...

Although the are also right about some things too. 'Louie Louie' is proably not one of them - if you listen to it as music you cannot but like it.