Monday, May 24, 2010

"500 Days of Summer"

I also saw this while flying to Cuba, choosing it because I have a bit of a thing for Zooey Deschanel and because I reckon light comedies are the best thing to watch on tiny airplane screens. 500 Days of Summer is a clever film, telling the story of this guy meeting, getting romantically involved with, and then breaking up with a woman called Summer, all over five hundred days. Except the story is told out of order, so you get them breaking up fairly early on, possibly even before we see them get together. It is kind of a romantic comedy, though it says it is not, but it seems a bit more aimed at people with half a brain than those films typically are (not that I would know). It is also very indie, both in terms of its cultural references (the hero and Summer first bond over a shared love of The Smiths) and its general attitude.

The film has some very funny moments, and is overall rather light, but still found it thought provoking – it is a film I like even more in retrospect than I did at the time. So I would recommend it to people who are interested in human relationships, or who like funny things, or who like films with attractive young ladies in them.

An inuit panda production

No comments: