Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Worried man with flaming torch; man on steps besieged by seagulls

Harker #6 & #7, by Roger Gibson and Vince Danks

One story ends, another begins. The black magic Satanism murder story sees Inspector Harker chase the murderer from his dungeon and into some crazy tunnels that connect with an abandoned tube station and then THE BRITISH MUSEUM. I suspect that it is a bit more difficult to connect your cellar to labyrinthine tunnels beneath London, but it makes for an atmospheric finish to it all.

And then with #7 Harker goes on holidays to Whitby and is revealed as grandson of Mina Harker from Dracula; I'm not sure whether that is kewl or lame. His holiday is interrupted when someone is actually murdered at a murder mystery weekend*. OMG. I like the Whitby representations here – for all that I have read Dracula a couple of times, I've never seen pictures of the place, and it looks pretty nice. In fact, it reminds me a bit of St. Ives in Cornwall, only with more hills and ruined abbeys. I must go there sometime, though not when the goths are around.

One thing that really strains credibility with Harker is his sidekick Critchley being some kind of chick magnet. That said, my impression is that the two main characters in this are caricatures of the title's creators – maybe this is the bit that is true to life.

*this strikes me as a fairly hackneyed plot twist, though I struggle to think of anyone else who has previously done this – what say you, mystery fans?

image source

No comments: