Wednesday, October 18, 2006

"Children of Men"

I expect to talk about this film at greater length in the pages of Frank's APA, and thus here in a month's time when it has left the cinema, but for now let me just say that this is the most impressive film I have seen in ages. It is emotionally involving in a way that very few films are, and it made me think of many things largely unconnected with the central premise. I recommend seeing it in the cinema, as the whole second half in particular gains from being seen on a big screen in a cinema with a big sound system.

2 comments:

ian said...

It's like a better verson of a lot of films - Code 46, 28 Days Later, V for Vendetta, etc.

Kealo said...

I think it's the best film I've seen for a while too. It had a good plot and was well acted.

I was sitting on the front row - not normally a good viewing position - but because the screen wasn't too big, I felt like I was in the film, particularly during the battle in the refugee camp.

I also thought the film looked great. The sky was always dull and all the buildings were grey and decaying. Despite being set in the future, it didn't look to futuristic. It's only 21 years from now and I suppose scientific research would be focused on fertility treatment and not much else.

I liked 28 Days Later. Well, the first half, anyway.