Monday, October 09, 2006

Gig: The Telescopes (Lazybird)

They said I would never make it to a Lazybird gig. They were wrong. Putting on a band I am an old fan of did the trick. You may remember The Telescopes back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, when they were one of the first bands to follow in My Bloody Valentine's footsteps. Since then they dropped below the world’s radar and possibly split up and stuff. Now they are back, with an all new direction based on not playing any of their old tunes or guitars or any shite like that. Instead they operate a hardline policy of all drone all the time, mostly played on synths though possibly with slide guitar or heavily treated actual guitar (READER'S VOICE: I thought you said they didn’t have any guitars). Deadly stuff, though I felt the lack of the lady band member who always used to face away from the crowd at gigs in the Camden Falcon. The support act was pretty good too, although I did not catch the fellow's name; maybe it was Magnetize.

One thing that has to be said about Lazybird – it is a great place to pick up chicks. And they're gagging for it – one of my mates regularly goes home with 25% of all the women present on any given night.

No comments: