Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Mulatu Astatqé – the synthijazz years

I recently deleted something from my iTunes library not because I was running out of disc space but because it was shite and I never wanted to hear it again. It was the synthijazz record by Mulatu Astatqé that I bought in the Ghion Hotel in Addis Ababa,. What was the last straw was realising that there is a version of 'Yèkèrmo Sèw' on it. 'Yèkèrmo Sèw' for me is the Ethiopian jazz track (perhaps because it is in the first track on Éthiopiques 4, my first in the series). Listening to Mulatu giving us a dreadful '80s jazz version of the track was like listening to him pissing on his musical legacy. Irene remarked archly that the sound of him literally pissing on his musical legacy would probably be more interesting.

No comments: