Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Country bends, oh country bends

I've been thinking a bit more about public information films. One classic example of the genre missed by the BBC is that "Bedtime Routine" one, where this 1920s style couple perform a Noel Coward-esque song and dance routine about how it's a good idea to turn off electrical appliance before you go to bed.

Less excitingly, there was this other one with a simple message: "Old People! Do not get so carried away with reminiscing about your youth that you fall asleep with a lit cigarette and burn down your house!".

I don't know, the '70s... were people always falling into rivers and burning down their houses back then? This never happens now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was the welfare state gone mad. We don't have time for the weak and foolish any more...

Ray

Anonymous said...

"Get a routine! Show your intention! Fire prevention, fire prevention!"

Dear God, it is stuck in my head now....

Anonymous said...

I wish I didn't keep losing me birds

Trish Byrne said...

I actually found the one about single track roads very useful when I went on holidays to Wales a couple of years ago. I remembered to pull right into that passing space, and also to thank my lucky stars that I was on holiday.

I am not making this up.