Thursday, January 18, 2024

Le Guess Who 2023: epilogue

You can read my previous Le Guess Who post here and all my 2023 Le Guess Who posts here.

Monday saw us making a long, depressing, and surprisingly stressful journey home by plane. The possibility of travelling back overland next year was discussed, though I suspect it would be a bit impractical. It was however nice to receive a welcome at home from cat name of Billy Edwards.

Some Le Guess Who things I did not see but wish I had:

  • Caterina Barbieri + Space Afrika with MFO: partly just for the name.
  • Decisive Pink: someone who was formerly to be in the Dirty Projectors and someone who was not.
  • Alan Sparhawk: I think this could have been quite emotional. Plus Low were always one of my favourite live bands.
  • The Good Ones: My beloved saw them and said they were great, as did a guy we were talking to at Le Feast. They are from Rwanda but were not playing traditional music of their country, but instead tunes of a somewhat more globally informed variety.
  • In Solidarity With: This was not a performance at all but a gap deliberately left empty in the programme in which people could sit in Hertz and think about all the bad things happening in the world. If I remember correctly the time slot was meant to be filled by a Palestinian musician from Gaza but he is now trapped there and fleeing for his life from Israeli bombing.
  • Model/Actriz: As previously noted, this Brooklyn bunch were recommended over brunch. I will investigate them.
  • Stereolab: I have seen them many times and while I do not regret seeing other things instead of them I would still like to have seen them at Le Guess Who.

Thanks to anyone who has made it this far. If you want more you can see all my terrible Le Guess Who pictures here.

No comments: