Saturday, April 21, 2007

Incoming

1. George Clinton is playing in the TriPod place on the 4th of July. I have long thought that Funkadelic's 'One Nation Under A Groove' should become the US national anthem, so I am hoping for bonkers Americana at this, so long as the Hootieship does not accidentally descend.

2. The Gate is showing a production of Stephen Sondheim's Sweeney Todd: the Demon Barber of Fleet Street, the famous musical about a murderous barber and the nearby pie shop that assists in the disposal of his victims. I have long been fascinated by this gothic masterpiece of bloody and indiscriminate revenge, and longed for it to be performed in Dublin. And now it is here! The director is Selina Cartmell, who did Titus Andronicus in the Project recently, so I am expecting good things from this.

2 comments:

Nicholas Whyte said...

I'm impressed by George Clinton agreeing to do the gig, given that he died during his second term in office as Vice President of the United States in 1812.

Ammonite said...

Ah! Titus Andronicus was such a great production. Grand guignol rules! (I may be spending too much time with ver young folks).