Saturday, April 14, 2007

Blogs are rubbish...

... or so claims Victor Keegan in The Guardian: To the average Joe, blogs aren't cutting it

He has a point. Unless you are a superstar blogger like Momus, you probably have no readers other than your friends, and even they probably don't like your blog that much. I am also struck by the point about blogs v. social networking sites. Yesterday I posted about the World Bank on my other blog, and expect a tiny number of people to read that; if I had posted the same thing on a message board it might have been read by, I don't know, a dozen people? This is life.

4 comments:

Quadrant Four said...

I thought the whole point of a blog was to write it, rather than for it to be read?

ian said...

I hear you... but you would have to assume that if people post something up on the interweb where anyone can read it (as opposed to writing it on a piece of paper hidden under their bed) they would kind of like someone to read it.

Ammonite said...

It depends, I really only want my blog to be read by my friends (please refrain from any cutting remarks about my slack posting, I am shit and know it). I have a hard enough time liking people I meet in person, I can't imagine how I'd make a connection with someone on myspace.

I am curmudgeonly.

ian said...

I want everyone in the world to read my blogs. I think it would do them a lot of good.