Thursday, September 28, 2006

Film: Miami Vice

In this, yer man Michael Mann remakes his old TV series. It is grand in and of itself, though ultimately a bit ponderous. And it’s all a bit Women In Refrigerator (this being a comics criticism term used to discuss the baroque sufferings of women characters in comics; more details). The women closest to the two main characters experience seem to have terrible things happen to them solely because the plot then gives their menfolk an excuse to be very annoyed with their enemies, whose perniciousness is now revealed.

I think some may have criticised the film on the basis of the thin drawing of the women characters. This particular line of argument is not really a runner, as none of the characters have any depth to them, and Gong Li is far more interesting than anyone else in the film.

Still, there are plenty of nice shots of guys with mullets driving around in speedboats or flying airplanes and stuff.

3 comments:

Ammonite said...

Despite your surprisingly positive review, I'm still not convinced. This has more to do with never finding the original Miami Vice all that interesting, although I did go through a brief period daydreaming about Don Jonson.

Ammonite said...

While I'm on the subject:
http://www.tomatonation.com/don.shtml

ian said...

I am not a very good writer - I did not think my review was positive. I would not encourage anyone to go and see the Miami Vice film.