Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Lady's choice

You know me beour? She bought some records in Nottingham too.

Saint Etienne Finisterre

I think someone in the shop recommended this. I have not listened to it closely but it sounds pretty good. I notice that it has a song on it called ‘B92’ – about the popular Belgrade radio station?

Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan Ballad of the Broken Seas

This is a delightful country-ish record on which Campbell’s thin voice is contrasted with Lanegan’s growl to great effect. Although billed to both of them, this is essentially Isobel’s record, with the songs almost entirely being written by her. She also oversees production, and wisely chooses to hang the tracks on the music rather than her voice. But yeah, this record’s a gem, check it out man.

Sigur Ros ()

Back in the day Sigur Ros seemed very exciting, but when Irene bought their debut album (or what passed for their debut in whiteyland) it seemed a bit boring compared to their singles. So I lost interest in them. But now I am glad that my beloved has bought this, because it is great, delivering on the spectral otherworldliness their singles and early live performances promised. Deadly buzz.

No comments: