Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Ex in Crawdaddy

Some time ago I saw The Ex play live, supported by some local act called Barnyard Witch. BW seemed interesting, and I would not object to seeing them again. As for The Ex… they were great, but on this occasion I was in the grip of a terrible attack of torpid lethargy and thus not a in position to enjoy them as much as they deserved. Perhaps if I had been seated, and there were servants on hand to fetch me glasses of laudanum.

Anyway, as you know, the Ex are an innovative Dutch punk band who have been on the scene for quite some time now. They have in recent years become very interested in Ethiopian jazz music. Maybe this, or African music generally, started to infect their own sound, with the band's output becoming almost polyrhythmic, despite retaining the normal punk instrumentation. They always give a 100% live and seem to genuinely enjoy playing, which is nice. I did find myself wondering, though, if The Ex would be better if the singer did his stuff in his native Dutch rather than English. I do not know if it is second-language syndrome or the punk mindset, but the lyrics are generally amazingly fatuous and paying them any attention at all made the music seem less interesting.

The Ex are nevertheless a great band, although you probably know this already. I bought a copy of their most recent album, recorded with Ethiopian jazzer Gétatchèw Mèkurya. It is completely deadly stuff, although maybe it is too good. Like with The Ex-Orkest album (on which The Ex played with an orchestra) you find yourself feeling slightly short-changed by seeing just the band on their own. Which is a shame, really, as The Ex's own commitment to polyrhythmic punk makes them a unique live experience.

No comments: