Sunday, August 27, 2006

CD: THE GREATEST IRISH MUSIC TUNES EVER RELEASED

This is actually a compilation of tunes by Irish artists which is meant to give a cross-section of the local music I have listened to over the last number of years. The tracklisting represents a couple of different things - artists I like or have liked, artists I deem representative of a certain current of Irish music, artists I reckon people might find interesting (but not necessarily like). Not all the selections do all of these things simultanaeously.

There are no tracks by U2 here, because everyone knows what they sound like already. And no tracks by undeniably rubbish acts of the 1980s (Cactus World News, Cry Before Dawn, Aslan, etc.), as they have no redeeming features and I have nothing by them. I have also left out any older Irish tunes by good bands like Horslips as they do not fit the model.

So anyway, enough of my yakkin'. Here are the tunes, the order being roughly chronological:

Toasted Heretic 'Sodom Tonight' (from Songs For Swinging Celibates)
Toasted Heretic were a very important act in my circle. I remember hearing this song for the first time in the radio and being awestruck by it. This was back around 1987 or so, when the idea of there being such a thing as an Irish band making this kind of music was dangerously novel. In rapid succession the discovery was made that i) they had other songs ii) they had an entire cassette of songs, and iii) they played concerts. I saw them live and became acquainted with the band (though not as well as others), but gradually Toasted Heretic's career trajectory became apparent - a failure to capitalise on early promise, and a failure to break out of the ghetto of Irish music despite more than no support in certain quarters of the UK music press. Such is the way of life.

Wormhole 'Unknown To Us' (from Chicks Dig Scars)
One of the many somewhat experimental guitar rock outfits found in Dublin during the early 1990s. These fellows may later have mutated or evolved into E+S=B, who played with yer man Damo Suzuki. I like the whiny vocals on this track.

Whipping Boy 'Valentine 69' (from Submarine)
The Whipping Boy originally were a kind of early post-My Bloody Valentine band - shoegazing before the genre had acquired the name, but maybe a bit more muscular. For whatever reason, success eluded them. Then they reformed in the mid-1990s, riding a wave of music industry hype, and success eluded them again.

Harvest Ministers 'Six O'Clock Is Rosary' (from the e.p. 'If It Kills Me And It Will')
The Harvest Ministers released a couple of singles and maybe an album on Sarah, and appear on the final Sarah compilation, which means that more than no people outside Ireland have heard their music.

Revelino 'Happiness Is Mine' (from the untitled first Revelino album)
These fellow mutated out of The Coltranes. I'm not saying they are necessarily that good in an objective sense, but when I saw them live in the early/mid 1990s I was struck by their star quality - they seemed like the kind of act who should be playing to legions of adoring fans rather than to the usual suspects who go to all gigs in Dublin. They may have thought so too, so it was amusing when their second, post non-success album, was called something like To The End, and had a wonderful cover featuring a photo of some Kamikaze pilots bowing before heading off on a mission.

Sultans of Ping fc 'Where's Me Jumper?' (from Casual Sex In The Cineplex)
I have met people who have never heard this song, so I included it on the CD. Some have suggested making this Ireland's national anthem.

Katell Keineg 'Smile' (from Jet)
Katell Keineg is not actually Irish but she lives here and is part of the local scene, so she might as well be. This is from what I think is her first album. I would have preferred to include 'The Gulf of Araby', but that is from a record I do not have. This is life.

Female Hercules 'Gwendolyn' (from the e.p. 'Gwendolyn')
Female Hercules are a hardy perennial on the Dublin live scene, three guys who live to rock 24-7 and play music with an obvious psychobilly influence. Mr Female Hercules is a recognisable Dublin character, and a personal hero of mine.

WARLORDS OF PEZ 'Padre Pio' (from the v/a compilation Kicking Against…)
WARLORDS OF PEZ are best experienced live, where they play in masks and include bizarre audio-visual features to their performances. Plus they have a naked man onstage hiding behind a flipboard giving the titles of the songs (and their lyrics, usually the same thing).

David Kitt 'You Know What I Want To Know' (from the v/a compilation Kicking Against...)
I'm not entirely convinced that David "Kittser" Kitt is necessarily that good, but he ran Dublin for a bit during the late 1990s or early 2000s. The mainstream media here got a bit over excited by his combining of programmed beats with singer-songwritery guitar and vocal stuff, while true scenesters actively hated him. Listening to this track again I am struck by how pleasantly understated his delivery is, and I remember enjoying any live performance of his I caught (when he was supporting someone I had paid money to see).

Nina Hynes 'Swallow' (from a v/a compilation given with Homage (or should that be Homg;e, given the magazine's lack of interest in spell-checking?))
Dublin suffers from a surfeit of lady singer-songwriters, and I am throwing Ms Hynes in here as a random sample.

Neosupervital 'Rachael' (from a v/a compilation given with Homage magazine)
Mr Neosupervital is this suave guy who plays a weird guitar synth thing while wearing a suit. There is a slightly support act air to him, but it's the kind of quality support that makes you wish you showed up early to more gigs. This song is rocking my world at the moment, making me wonder if I should check out more of his stuff.

The Jimmy Cake 'The Opposite of Addiction' (from Dublin Gone, Everybody Dead)
Popular local band whose members have colonised most other Dublin bands..

Estel 'My Raymond Is Contagious' (from A Guide In Time Of Great Danger)
Unpopular local band, at least with people I know. This is pre-split Estel, and is unrepresentative of their sound, in so far as it has a guest vocalist. Classic Estel were better live than on record. Post-split, one Estel faction kept the name (Continuity Estel), while Estel-General Command became Pas Cas Cap.

The Chalets 'David Boring' (from the 'Night Rocker' e.p.)
The title track of this e.p. is a complete corker, but I reckoned the comics fans among you might appreciate this track.

Jape 'Floating' (from a v/a compilation given with Small Hours magazine)
When I saw Mr Jape live I realised how much I liked this song. It's funny how one of my friends described Jape as indie-shmindie bullshit when (live, anyway) this song is like some kind of monster rave anthem.

Fred 'Four Chords And The Truth' (from Making Music So You Don't Have To)
The Cork sensations. Sadly, on record you do not get to see their crazed dancer.

WARLORDS OF PEZ 'Monster Voice' (from an album sampler given away at a recent concert)
WARLORDS OF PEZ songs are short, so there is always room for one more.

That's your lot. At some stage in the future you can expect a CD of World Pop - mainly psych tunes from East Germany and Cambodia, bet you can't wait.

12 comments:

Andrew Farrell said...

That is a cracking tracklist, I'm getting all misty about the Emerald Isle just thinking about it. Are you 'offering' this CD?

ian said...

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, the CD is available to anyone who wants it - so long as they are not a narc for the copyright fascists who don't want their bands exposed to a wider audience.

That said, I am a bit slow about copying up these things and putting them into the post, as many readers of Frank's APA may have noticed.

Anonymous said...

I'd love a copy of this CD too.

I have the rare distinction of being one of the two people who cared who was there the night Toasted Heretic blew it -- the other being Kevin Magee. It was in Break for the Border off Charing Cross Road, Melody Maker had already agreed to give them Single of the Week for Galway and Los Angeles, and the world was in the palm of their hand. Kevin turned to me about halfway through the evening and said "They seem very slow tonight?" The NME review said "That's entertainment. Apparently". It turned out that London will call you on your lack of soul even if you didn't realise you suffered from it.

I have ALWAYS hated on David Kitt and will continue to do so even when it isn't cool. In fact, I was hating on him today on the way to Dun Laoghaire.

Anonymous said...

I would also say that almost any track off A House's "I Want Too Much" would be worthy of inclusion on this compilation. They HATED their audience but they made great music.

Kealo said...

I'm ashamed to say that the only track I know is 'Where's Me Jumper?'. Cracking tune. I would be interested in hearing the rest, though.

Queenie said...

Yes, it's a crackin' list - can I have a copy too. thanks

ian said...

That's another two CDs on the burner.

William - A House do not make the disc for a number of reasons. The most important is that I have nothing by them, but I suppose a secondary reason is that I don't like them that much. This largely explains why I have nothing by them, though I reckon that even if I did I would have bought up their stuff on vinyl back in the day.

Queenie - yours is already in the post, because I wuv you, and because you are a member of my secret cult.

ian said...

I've got a little disc burning assembly line going here in Carwash Mansions. Man, if those copyright Nazis ever catch me I'll be in the farm for quite some time.

Anonymous said...

Re: Estel - "Unpopular" local band? I know lots of people that like them, and their shows always seem to get pretty good attendances. Granted, the splitoff seemed to mess things up a bit, and I preferred them when they were more krautrock-y\new wavey (like on the 2nd album) than the current heavier, more dirgey incarnation, but they still do good stuff..

ian said...

Dude, pay attention. I said they are unpopular with people I know. They may well be more popular with people of greater discernment.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I can't get most of my so-called "friends" to go and see dirgey post rock either, unfortunately. Just discovered that Estel Mk II have a new CD coming out on Oct 27th.

ian said...

Some of my friends like the dirgey post-rock they make their own; they just don't like Estel (or any of the successors thereof). But some do. I like Estel live, but I am coming round to the idea that they are not brilliant on record.