Thursday, February 22, 2007

Gang of Four play the TriPod

TriPod is the new venue in what was once the Red Box, Dublin's most awful place to experience music. The new TriPod seems a pleasant enough spot, and I may grace it with my presence again in the future.

The support act were some hopeless local act called DeLorentos or something like that. They were like a post punk tribute act who emphasised the suckass proto U2 elements of that scene. Or maybe they were a Franz Ferdinand tribute act who secretly want to be the new Cactus World News. Next!

Gang of Four are, as you know, the oldarse band who released a couple of albums that influenced a great many bands, including such kewl bands of now as The Rapture and Franz Ferdinand. They are now touring to milk the credit-where-it's-due circuit. They are a bit less angular live, with the guitarist guy (Andy Gill) and the singer really going for it. Apparently they were like this back in the day as well, which is why they allegedly went down better with US audiences than the usual post punk dry shites.

Seeing Gang Of Four live really reminded me of how great a band they were/are – they have this punk appeal thing going on, but they are so goddamn funky that it is hard to see how massive mainstream success eluded them (not playing Top Of The Pops for trivial reasons might be factor here). Andy Gill achieves much of the attention in discussions of the band, but I ended up thinking that the rhythm section, and particularly the bass player, were the band's musical powerhouse. Gill's brittle guitar lines were almost like fluff over the rhythmers funk stylings. So yeah, deadly stuff.

Now I wonder should I go to the forthcomingA Certain Ratio concert. Mmm.

8 comments:

Andrew Sherman said...

I once saw Shriekback (with GO4's bass player) and they were funky

ian said...

Shriekback... legendary band of whom I know nothing. Was one of them in M*A*R*R*S*?

Andrew Sherman said...

Hmm don't think so. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shriekback

ian said...

I reckon I am thinking of A.R. Kane (wrt M*A*R*R*S*), though I acknowledge Shriekback's legendary status.

Kealo said...

It was on 10th December.

I enjoyed the gig. They more or less played everything off Entertainment!. Everyone was full of energy and moved around a lot (except the drummer, of course!). However, I remember being very disappointed they didn't play "I Love A Man In Uniform"!

ian said...

I officially do not know 'I Love A Man In Uniform', though I notice that I have it on my iPod.

On A.R. Kane, I remember borrowing two of their albums and not being overwhelmed by them, but I thought it was just me.

Kealo said...

A great song with the immortal line:

To have ambitions was my ambition.

Anonymous said...

I saw A Certain Ratio in Edinburgh with Mr Paul Watts last year. I reviewed it in Frank's, I think.

They were enjoyable enough, and nice guys to boot, who seemed genuinely awed that people had payed money and turned up to hear them play.

I wouldn't miss another band I like playing at the same time to go see them again though.