Saturday, June 09, 2012

Irene reviews a concert by White Hills and Wizards of Firetop Mountain

Now I am recycling Irene's review of a concert I too was at but failed to write about.

The main attraction here was Wizards of Firetop Mountain, a bunch of hairy geezers (ian's voice: "and one woman") who live to rock 24/7. And just as they did at Hunter's Moon, they served up straight down the line ROCK in the spirit of ye Sabbath. Ian called them "beyond irony" and this would appear to be true.

White Hills had more of a modern take on heavy rock, putting together Hawkwindy effects, guitar pedals, slightly acid-y vibes etc (Wizards would have had no truck with that kind of nonsense). But still LOUD. The drummer with White Hills was amazing, and I remarked to Ian that he was almost as good as Oneida's own Kid Millions. Imagine my astonishment when, a few days later, I learned that Mr Millions actually plays on White Hills' album. So, er, was I stood in front of Kid Millions for all that time at the gig, not realising who it was? Probably, but I can't be sure because, in spite of having seen Oneida loads of times, I have no idea what Kid Millions looks like. Hence my question about band-member-specific prosopagnosia, because this seems to happen to me a lot. Does anyone else have this problem?

I have many problems, but I don't think prosopnagnosia is one of them. The only thing I have to say about this concert was that it is hard to communicate just how hard Wizards of Firetop Mountain rock. White Hills also rock hard, but in a somewhat spacier kind of way.

Later testimony suggested that we had not seen Kid Millions drumming with White Hills - suggesting that there are several very good rock drummers in the world.


An inuit panda production

No comments: