Friday, August 05, 2011

v/a "Oddities, Musings and Meanderings"

This is a compilation sent to me by someone for whom I had purchased here the latest album by Gavin Friday, sending it to her so that she could get it a week or two before it was released in the USA. I find the compilation rather enjoyable, partly because it includes wonderful things like This Mortal Coil doing 'Song To The Siren' and an interesting cover of 'Le Pastie de la Bourgeoisie' by Alex Kapranos.

What most struck me, though, was what sounded like it might be a live version of an up tempo tune by some American indie/electronic band. It bops away in a non-annoying manner, and then it segues into them doing 'Poker Face' by Lady Gaga. In general I am against indie bands doing covers of pop tunes – they tend to be either ironic and overly* knowing, or else snidely rockist in their "reclaiming of a great piece of songwriting". But this one just bops along, escaping the twin poles of wankology. So when it came up when I was listening to it on the way home from work on the iPod, I looked at the display to see who it was, and the answer froze my blood cold. For the band name on the screen was Weezer. Considering Weezer to be the worst band that has ever existed or that ever could exist is one of the rocks on which I have built my life. If it turns out that Weezer are making good music then either my whole life thus far has been a lie or I am losing my mind. There are no other options.

* There is something liberating about realising that as Brian Haunton is not going to be reading this I can say "overly" as much as I want without anyone becoming overly annoyed. Unless Brian Haunton is actually reading this, in which case, sorry Brian, and is there any likelihood of you rejoining Frank's?

musing panda(follow the link... it will bring you to the world's greatest blog)

An inuit panda production

No comments: