Monday, September 29, 2008

More Vintage

Mahmoud Ahmed Éthiopiques 6: Mahmoud Ahmed 1973
v/a Éthiopiques 13: The Golden Seventies/Ethiopian Groove

Woahhh yeah. Two CDs picked up over in London towne, at that Éthiopiques gig I mentioned glowingly a while back. Eh… yeah, you probably get the idea of all this 1970s Ethiopian jazz and nightclub music. I know I do. Mahmoud Ahmed has a nice voice, but I prefer the stuff on the other disc, partly because it has the original of that track covered by The Ex and Gétatchèw Mèkurya, partly because I prefer the variance you get with the multi-artist Éthiopiques records.

By the way, I wonder where I will go next with the Éthiopiques records. I would like to hear some of that Tigrayan music, or on music fronted by women. That one with Tigrayan lady playing the kora should be right up my alley.

And then, of course, the same people are bringing us all those Zanzibari records. How many of these African countries had their own crazy jazzer scenes? That's what I want to know.

No comments: