Sunday, July 06, 2008

Ornette Coleman "Free Jazz"


My old pal Gazelle Boy once said "I believe in freedom. Free speech, freedom of religion, even free love. But I draw the line at free jazz". So who knows what he would think of this record? I liked the boffiny explanations in the accompanying notes about what this free jazz business is all about, helpfully explaining that when the chaps started playing they had decided nothing about what they would do in advance and were just going to barrel ahead and see what happened (and release whatever they recorded, no matter if it was godawful crap?). I like what Mr Coleman and his friends have made – it is the kind of mad for it parpy parp jazz that is always glad for making you think of yourself as forward thinking and progressive. I am nevertheless glad that all music is not made like this.

Free Panda

No comments: