Sunday, June 15, 2008

Comics Roundup 15/6/2008

100 Bullets # 100, by Brian Azzarello and Eduaro Risso

I can no longer remember how the characters relate to each other and what they are meant to be doing, so a lot of this is semi-incomprehensible, the main story in particular. The subplot about the kiddie gangsters has more coherence. That said, the art is still very likeable, and for all that the main story might not make much sense on its own, I was still able to roll along with it.

This issue contained an excerpt from some new Vertigo title called Air, by G. Willow Wilson and M.K. Perker, which seems to be about an air hostess. It seems sufficiently interesting that I might give the first issue a go, perhaps because I am getting sufficiently excited about my forthcoming trip to Ethiopia to find anything flight-related fascinating.

Star Wars: Rebellion # 14, by Jeremy Barlow and Colin Wilson

I feel like this title is my secret shame, as there is something very sad about reading Star Wars comics. It was the Colin Wilson art that sucked me into this; older readers may remember his work in 2000 AD, where he crafted an endearingly wreck-tech look for Judge Dredd and Rogue Trooper. His style suits well all the Star Wars stuff, with everything looking just a little bit grotty at the edges. The story is by no means awful, but this is a title I buy for the art; as Wilson is leaving with this issue I will be able to put this sordid part of my life away. For now.

2 comments:

Ammonite said...

Has "100 Bullets" been made into a movie starring Angelina Jolie? Or did I dream that?

ian said...

IMDB knows of no such film, though she is slated to appear in a film of Atlas Shrugged - exciting news for any Chris Gimours who happen to be reading.