Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Face of Bath

After the Nightmare, my beloved and I visited the well-known town of Bath. In particular, we went to the Roman baths there. If you haven't seen these… go! They are awesome. Apart from the baths themselves, evocative as they are of of the passage of time and the strange world of the past, the museum also features this sculpture of a face that would have appeared on a shield on the temple's pediment. The Face is one of the strangest artworks I have ever seen, with its expression suggesting the most alien of emotions.

Image taken from here. They have a link to a much larger picture of the Face.

2 comments:

Niall said...

Lovecraft would have lapped that picture up and it does remind me of an artefact in one of his stories, probably 'The Call of Cthulhu' itself. I know it's related to Medusa, but it also reminds me of The Green Man. Ever read the Kingsley Amis book or see the BBC adaptation with Albert Finney? These are a few of my favourite things.... Holy Yog-Sothoth, I really need to get a life! Interesting pic though.

ian said...

I've not read the book or seen the series, but I am familiar with the concept.

One thing about the Face of Bath - it is is huge! Fifteen feet across or something. Or maybe I am exaggerating again.